First and foremost, Waverly Grace UMC is a "Safe Sanctuary." Safe Sanctuaries is an overt expression in making congregations safe places where children, youth, and elders may experience the abiding love of God and fellowship within the community of faith.
Adults working with youth have attended mandatory training. For more information about Safe Sanctuary, visit this UMC link.
Children’s Sunday School
Our goal is to provide your children with a loving, safe, nurturing environment to grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ and each other. Because we believe that children learn through experiences, we start our children in the Sanctuary during 9:30am worship service. The children are then released to their Sunday school teachers.
- Early Childhood: At Grace, we value age-appropriate education for our young children. At this early age, prayers can be shared and friendships formed with Jesus and each other. The Nursery is available for children aged 0 months through 3 years.
- Preschool to Kindergarten (3+): Grace’s Sunday school curriculum for this age group helps children use their natural enthusiasm with fun, cooperative games, group activities and storytelling.
- Elementary Grades: In Sunday School our elementary children meet each week to enjoy Bible stories, learn songs set to scriptural passages and to work and play together in loving ways. The curriculum at each grade level is designed to meet the developmental needs of each individual child as well as the special talents of our teachers. We use a rotational model of lesson planning. Each week the children will learn the same lesson through Art, Games, Videos and Stories. We offer class for children in 1st through 5th grade. Sixth graders join our youth classes.
Annual Activities for Children
- Easter Egg Hunt: Grace holds an annual Easter Egg Hunt for children up to 5th grade. After the egg hunt there are snacks.
- Fall Family Fling in September: A party for the whole family with games, music and food.
- Chiliween at Grace in October: Join us for Chili after Trick or Treat in the Family Life Center!
- Children’s Christmas Program: Families come together to watch our Preschool and Elementary students perform , share a meal and sing Christmas hymns.
- Christmas Eve Family Worship: The family Christmas Eve Worship service is a family friendly worship service held in the early evening to accommodate the younger children.
- Sunday School for Middle and High School Students
Sunday School is a great time to come together and to learn about Christ right where you are. Every Sunday we explore a new concept as it relates to our daily lives and what the Bible has to say about. Sunday morning classes run year-round for Middle School and High School students.
In the Methodist Church, in order for students to become full members of a congregation, they must be confirmed. We have designed our Confirmation Class to be as fun as it is educational. We meet ,onnthly for class during the school year and go on a retreat. The class is open to all 6th grade students and older who desire to become members of Grace or find out more about what being a follower of Christ means. We take Confirmation seriously, and as such, we have instituted a covenant for each student and parent to sign and commit to for the year with the hope that it will be a life-long commitment.